Friday, April 11, 2008

Ireland Part 2 - Doolin & The Aran Islands


Doolin

Lafayette, CO - Ok, here's part 2 of Ireland. Amazing what you can get done when you're not painting all day. Not that we're done, mind you. It's just that I had to take a break to get our income taxes done, send out the invitations for our wedding in September, plan a canoe trip in June, do some mountain biking in Moab, a little climbing in Arches National Park and put in another few days of skiing. So on Monday, I'm back on task.

Anyway, in this second installment on Ireland we'll be checking out Doolin in the County Clair & The Aran Islands. My friend Gary gave me a ride north. However, he needed to go back to work the next day, so he dropped me off at a hostel in Doolin with a short list of "must sees." Included in that list, were The Cliffs of Moher and The Aran Islands.




The Cliffs of Moher




Although October is pretty much as off season as it gets in Ireland, I did manage to find a boat out to both Inisheer (the eastern island) and the next day, Inishmaan (the middle island). Gary had told me I should spend a day out on Inishmaan or Inis Meain (Irish) as it was his favorite of the three and one of the least touristed. He said I needed to check out the walls. So, I did just that.





Inis Meain / Inishmaan





As usual there are lots more pictures and stories in the slide show. Just click on the walls ->


Ireland: Part 2

3 comments:

nikki anderson said...

Hello-
Just read your latest post and saw the part about 'wedding invitations'! Congratulations! You guys must be so busy with planning and the renovation!
I actually live about three hours from San Francisco, in Amador County. Suwei told me that you guys passed through Sutter Creek and Jackson once, maybe on your way skiing or camping, but I remember being so amazed that I met someone in Nepal who knew where Sutter Creek is! It's a really small town. But I'll probably go down to S.F. some weekends this summer, so if you are planning to be there this summer ever, do let me know!
I have to say, the photos on your blog are really, really incredible. Do you sell your travel photos to magazines or anything like that?
Hope all is well!
Nikki

Leonard Doyle said...

We love your photos from Ireland and would like to include some on the community website Aran-Isles.com as well as our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Aran-Isles/82822735290
Please come and visit

Somehowlost said...

I would be happy to allow you to use my photos for your website. I found the place completely fascinating. Any friend of the Aran Islands is a friend of mine.